Honey is a natural antibiotic and has medicinal properties that has remarkable health benefits for the entire body. Known also as ‘liquid gold’ this amazing product has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and has been used for more than 2000 years. Other nutrients that honey has are riboflavin, niacin, vitamins B12 and C, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium.
In addition to its medicinal value, this product is a healthy natural sweetener and a perfect addition to one’s everyday diet and drinks.
Some important health benefits include:
- Treats wounds and reduces the risk of infection (it has antioxidant and hydrogen peroxide content)
- Treats sore throat and coughs
- Soothes minor burns
(due to its antibacterial action, low pH, high viscosity and hydrogen peroxide content)
- Helps with skin problems (cures psoriasis and helps with dermatitis)
- Fights acne
- Improves both short and long term memory
- Helps with digestive problems
(shortens the time taken to eliminate H.pylori from stomach lining of patients with gastric and ulcers)
- Boosts Immunity
(Try taking 1 T honey with a glass of lukewarm milk. Add ¼ teaspoon cinnamon power and mix well. Drink daily during bedtime)
- Combats Insomnia (by ensure adequate supply of liver glycogen during sleep)
- Good for Hair health (keeps hair conditioned and also helps control dandruff)
High altitude honey from Bhutan has very rich and potent medicinal properties. It is both popular with the locals as well as tourists. Given the long shelf life and the value of the ‘liquid gold’ it is one of the most popular Bhutanese export products and gift items.